The Institute of Our Lady of Mercy is committed to achieving the highest possible standards of service and ethical practice. To achieve these ends, we encourage freedom of speech.
Our Whistleblowing Policy refers to the process whereby employees are able to report any serious concerns about the treatment of people in our care or to which we minister.
It is our belief that, should a member of staff witness malpractice, they should be able to report their concerns without fear of reprisals and be assured that their concerns will be fully investigated. Harassment or victimisation of a whistleblower will not be tolerated and would be treated as a formal disciplinary offence.
A worker is protected if
- They honestly think what they are reporting is true
- They think they are telling the right person
- They believe that their disclosure is in the public interest
- That a criminal offence has been committed, is being committed, or is likely to be committed.
- Abuse, neglect or bullying has taken place.
- That a person has failed, is failing or is likely to fail to comply with a particular legal obligation.
- That a miscarriage of justice has occurred, is occurring or is likely to occur.
- That the health and safety of any individual has been, is being, or is likely to be endangered.
- That the environment has been or is likely to be damaged.
- That information indicating the occurrence of any of the above has been, is being, or is likely to be deliberately concealed.
In the first instance in the case of our Care Homes or Convents with Care, allegations should be made in writing to your Home Manager. Other avenues of redress include our Clinical Partner or Business Partner, a Trustee of the Institute or our Safeguarding Lead.
The matter will be investigated and will aim to be impartial and objective and as far as is reasonably practicable fair to all parties concerned in seeking to clarify the facts before any further action is taken.
For any further details on the action of Whistleblowing please contact our Safeguarding Lead on: